The Felipe Segovia Foundation strives to promote the educational thinking and beliefs that inspired the work of the founder of SEK Education Group to benefit the improvement of educational quality “for the perfection of humanity and to improve a better society”.
‘Education is the process of all-round perfection of humanity, guiding its realisation and its active insertion in society and culture’ (Un nuevo horizonte educativo, 1969).
Based on this, the work of the Felipe Segovia Foundation is STUDENT-centred and hinges on the following axes: Freedom and education, educational research and innovation, dignifying the teaching profession and advocating for the leading role of learning. The Felipe Segovia Foundation serves SEK Education Group – SEK International Schools and the Camilo José Cela University – and Spanish society, through its initiatives in favour of the participation of civil society in the educational sector, transforming the system, education and the acknowledgement of the importance of teaching professionals.
The SEK Education Group is ‘at the service of the common human spirit of achievement, striving for a better society’ and is founded on the following criteria:
1. The student is the measure of the life and education at SEK, respecting individuals, fostering the emergence of their skills and striving to realise their full personal potential.
2. SEK Education Group believes in educational freedom in the service of personal freedom. We accept the challenge implied by this belief and believe the student should be responsible for his or her own actions.
3. We respect plural values (individual, family, historic, cultural and religious values) and foster the fundamental Christian humanist values held by the majority of our members.
4. We encourage the universal conscience of solidarity among our teaching staff and students. We believe work to be an essential aspect of personal promotion and work, as a socialising force, not in terms of rivalry and ambition.
5. SEK Education Group is open to the world and modern times, to advances in educational quality and to any teaching and cultural bodies working towards this goal and to perfecting mankind and attaining a more cultured society.
The Foundation, born of these ideals, aspires to promote educational excellence, freedom, innovative teaching, effort, a vocation to serve society, learning and personal commitment and dignity.
The keystone of this work is the nurturing of humanities as the meeting point between culture and education. Likewise, the international vocation of the Foundation is one of its main hallmarks.